This dataset is a 1:15 million scale map of forest stand carbon for the land area of Russia (Stone et al., 2000). The objective was to create a first approximation of the forest stand carbon reserves of Russia. Data include continuous estimates of forest stand carbon in units of metric tons/ha of carbon (C) and categorized data depicting rages of forest stand carbon. The resulting maps show forest stand C by region in a spatially explicit form. It is the first map of its type for Russia of which we are aware. The mapped C represents 96% of the total of 26.1 Pg forest tree stand C described by Alexeyev and Birdsey (1994) and Alexeyev et al. (1995). Of the remaining 4%, nearly half was due to bushes, which were assumed not to be mapped in the 1973 forest cover map.The source data for the forest stand carbon map were acquired by map digitization from the Atlas of Forests for the Soviet Union (State Committee on Forests, 1973) and spatial application and arithmetic manipulation of carbon storage data from Alexeyev and Birdsey (1998).
N: 75.0 S: 35.17 E: 170.0 W: 19.82
Distribution: Not provided
|Temporal Extent:||Platform(s):||NOT APPLICABLE|
|Data Center(s):||ORNL_DAAC||Instrument(s):||NOT APPLICABLE|
Variables mapped on uniform space-time grid scales with completeness and consistency
|Project Short Name||Campaigns||Project Dates|
|Vegetation||No campaigns listed.||No dates provided.|
|Coverage Type||Zone Identifier||Geometry||Granule Representation|
ORNL DAAC User Services Office, P.O. Box 2008, MS 6407, Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Oak Ridge, Tennessee 37831-6407
There are no listed data contacts for this collection.
Format: Not provided
Format Type: Native